Thursday, November 3, 2016

50. The Centurion's Servant



After Jesus had finished speaking, he went to Capernaum, where a centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and at the point of death. When the centurion heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and save his servant. When the elders came to Jesus, they pleaded with him, saying, “This man is worthy of your help; he loves our nation, and built our synagogue for us.” 

Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying, “Master, don’t trouble yourself, for I am not worthy for you to come under my roof. I’m not even worthy to come to you; say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man with authority over soldiers. I tell this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

When Jesus was told this, he marveled at what he heard, and turned and said to the multitude who followed him, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith anywhere in Israel.” Those who were sent returned to the house and found the servant was now well.


It is remarkable that leaders of a synagogue would speak highly of a Roman officer, given the hatred Jews felt toward their oppressors, but this was an unusual man. He could have heartlessly replaced his servant with another; instead, he wanted the servant to be healed. Have your preconceived ideas toward people of a different race, religion, ethnic group, political party or sexual orientation been at odds with someone you’ve come to know? How has that affected you?
Prayer: Bring into my life, Lord, those who will challenge my prejudices.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment