Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Lent: Day 1



The crowds were on the way, going up to Jerusalem. To their amazement, Jesus was in front of them; those who followed were afraid. He took the twelve aside, and began to tell them what was going to happen to him. “We are going up to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes, who will condemn him to death, and deliver him to the Romans. They will mock him, spit on him, scourge him, and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.”


They understood none of these things. This was all hidden from them, and they didn’t understand what was said.


James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came near to him, saying, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we will ask.”


He said to them, “What do you want me to do for you?”


They said to him, “Grant to us that we may sit, one at your right hand, and one at your left hand, in your glory.”


 But Jesus said to them, “You don’t know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup I drink, and be baptized in the way I will be?”


They said to him, “We are able.”


Jesus said, “You shall indeed drink the cup I drink, and be baptized in the way I will be, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to give.”


When the ten heard it, they began to be indignant towards James and John.


Jesus summoned them, and said, “Those who are recognized as rulers over nations lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you: whoever wants to be great among you shall be your servant. Whoever wants to be first among you, shall be slave of all. The Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Reflection


The contrast between Jesus and his disciples can be clearly seen here: Jesus was resolutely moving toward his destiny of sacrifice and service; the disciples were seeking positions of power and privilege. They had spent three years with Jesus, but much in their life had changed little. In what ways has your life been shaped by a call to sacrifice and service? In what ways do you still feel feel the attraction of power and privilege?


Prayer: Challenge my thinking, Lord, when I began to focus on my self-interest instead of your call on my life.

8 comments:

  1. We were on our way to millionaire in 1973 when God let me know that was not His plan... Resigned in face of a double promotion andd went into 14 years of High School ministry with Young Life. After that time and no clear call to pastoral ministry I went into insurance. To say God altered my perspective is true. Although I didn't seek power nor privilege I am forever changed in my outlook and place of money in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I've dedicated much of my life to helping the most needy as a social worker, I panic when my financial "safety net" is the least bit challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read the questions for today I thought of the times when I was called to serve people who had no regard nor respect for women in ministry. At those times I don't think I was looking for power or privilege, but some basic respect and appreciation would have been nice.

    As I've had more and more opportunities to meet people from around the world, I realize how much privilege has been granted me, simply as a function of being a white American. I pray to use whatever power I have FOR people, rather than OVER them. I grieve the times when I haven't gotten that right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like taking the position as Nursery Coordinator at my church was part of God's plan. I volunteered as a helper with our k-3 Sunday school class the day I learned about the position being available to people even if they weren't members of the church, which was what was holding me back from going for it in the first place. The roads weren't great and when we were done and it was time for service I actually started walking out so I could get home before the roads got worse, but something told me to attend service. It's the only time in my life so far that I am absolutely certain I was being called to serve. I had just left a job and my spirit was broken. I was depressed and defeated by the whole situation. I had only really been growing in my faith for about a year at that point so leaning on God and praying didn't come so naturally to me, but I still prayed to find some sort of purpose. When the pastor brought up the position and said that the person didn't have to be a member, something told me to talk to him after the service, so I did. I've been in the position for a little over a year now, and I believe it saved me. I still struggle with what my purpose in life is, what God wants me to do to serve others, but I know part of it is working in the nursery. Since I started, I've become more involved in the church and I have grown deeper in my faith. Though it was only the one time I've felt like God was calling me to do something, it's certainly shaped my faith and sense of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so proud of the choices you have made!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It means so much to hear (or read) you say that, you have no idea.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! It means so much to hear (or read) you say that, you have no idea.

      Delete
  5. I have found that the allure of privilege and power is almost always motivated by my deep-seated fears. Anxiety is a dog with a loud, demanding bark! Faith enables me to see the sacred purposes in service and sacrifice.
    Which dog is barking? Faith or fear?
    The one that gets my attention, gets ME.

    ReplyDelete