Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Lent: Day 18



As Passover was approaching, the chief priests and scribes sought how they might put Jesus to death, for they feared the people. Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve. He went away, and talked with the chief priests and captains about how he might deliver him to them. They were pleased, and agreed to pay him. He began to look for an opportunity to deliver him to them in the absence of the crowd.

The day of unleavened bread came on which Passover is observed. He sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat.”

They said to him, “Where do you want us to prepare?”

He said to them, “When you have entered into the city, a man carrying a pitcher of water will meet you. Follow him into the house which he enters. Tell the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, “Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?”’ He will show you a large, furnished upper room. Make preparations there.”

They went, found things as he had told them, and prepared the Passover. When the hour had come, he sat down with the twelve. 

Reflection

 
Passover was the central, defining celebration in Jewish life because it commemorated their liberation from slavery in Egypt centuries before. In Egypt, they had been told to kill a lamb and put its blood on the doorpost of each house. God said, “When I see the blood, I will pass over you and your house.” In this sacrifice, the Hebrews were spared the death that came upon the Egyptians. Do you know Jewish families who still celebrate this today? Have you ever participated in a seder?

Prayer: Help me connect, Lord, with the Jewish roots of my faith.

2 comments:

  1. We will be participating in a Seder meal this week. I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the beautiful Feast of Passover! I have celebrated a sedar with my family several times over the years, and its meaning has become more meaningful to me as the years go by. The shedding of the blood of the spotless male lambs for the sins of the people, and then its true fulfillment in the death of the Lamb of God who was slain (ALSO on the Day of Passover) for the sins of the whole world.....brings me to tears. What a WONDERFUL Feast to celebrate! Thanks for sharing with this with us, David.

    ReplyDelete