Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Lent: Day 19



Knowing his time had come to return to the Father, and having loved his own who were in the world, Jesus now loved them to the end. He did this even as the devil put into the heart of Judas Iscariot to betray him. 

Knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he came from God, and was returning to God, Jesus arose from supper, laid aside his outer garments, took a towel and wrapped it around his waist. Then he poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?”

Jesus answered, “You don’t know what I am doing now, but you will understand later.”

Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet!”

Jesus answered him, “If I don’t wash you, you have no part with me.”

Simon Peter said, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”

Jesus said to him, “Someone who has bathed only needs to have his feet washed to be completely clean. You are clean, but not all of you.” For he knew the one who would betray him, therefore he said, “You are not all clean.” 

When he had washed their feet, put his outer garment back on, and sat down again, he said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You rightly call me, ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you an example that you also should do as I have done to you. 

A servant is not greater than his lord, neither is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. I don’t speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who eats bread with me has lifted up his heel against me.’ From now on, I tell you before it happens, that when it happens, you may believe I am he. Whoever receives someone I send, receives me; whoever receives me, receives the one who sent me.”

Reflection

 
In a time and place where roads were dusty and travel was on foot, it was customary for a host to have a servant wash the feet of house guests. By washing his disciples’ feet, Jesus set a powerful model of humble service, fully consistent with the transformed values of God’s kingdom. What lowly task in our own day might be compared to foot washing? In what way has Jesus’ example served as a model for you? 

Prayer: Keep reminding me, Lord, that no act of service to a person in need is beneath me.

2 comments:

  1. I think about CNAs, garbage collectors, janitors, church secretaries, plumbers and the like when I consider lowly tasks that are necessary and yet bring no accolades, large sums of money, power or awards. When my Dad first suffered his stroke, he had a nurse who had covered up giving him a med that she feared he had aspirated prior to my visit. I knew my Dad's condition had worsened but I didn't know why. I tried to find his nurse and couldn't. I sat for several hours with him thinking he was dying and not being able to find anybody who could tell me what was happening. A CNA came into the room to take his vitals, told me he had a fever and that she'd get the nurse. An hour later - no nurse. The CNA came back and asked if the nurse had visited. When I said "No" and how could I get the nursing supervisor, she immediately gave me the # I needed. Ultimately, the nurse got into big trouble, was taken off my Dad's care, the doctor was called who had not been told by this nurse that my Dad's condition was rapidly worsening, another was assigned and Dad was better within a few hours. It was then that we learned that the meds given had caused the problems and that the nurse had covered up the fact that my Dad had aspirated into his lungs although not enough to kill him was exposed. It was this CNA, risking her job by telling me all I needed to know when she didn't need to do it that led to both my Dad's condition improving within hours and the doctor being made aware of his condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's notable to me that Jesus not only washed the feet of those who were determined to remain faithful, but also of the one who had chosen to betray him. Serving such a one as Judas is rarely, if ever, encouraged in our churches. We model current society and culture much more than we model Jesus. My prayer today will be "God, call to my remembrance the Jusas' from my own life that I have tried to forget, or distance myself from. If there is any act of service You are calling me to do on their behalf, please help me to be attentive and faithful."

    ReplyDelete