Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Easter: Day 4



As they talked, Jesus himself stood among them and said, “Peace be to you.”

They were terrified, and supposed they had seen a spirit.

He said to them, “Why are you troubled? Why do doubts fill your hearts? See my hands and my feet, that it is truly me. Touch me and see, for a spirit doesn’t have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. While they still didn’t believe and rejoice, but wondered, he said to them, “Do you have anything here to eat?”

They gave him a piece of broiled fish and some honeycomb. He took them, and ate in front of them before leaving. 

Thomas, one of the twelve, wasn’t with them when Jesus came. The other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail prints in his hands, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

Eight days later his disciples were inside, and Thomas was with them. The doors were locked, but Jesus came, stood in the middle, and said, “Peace be to you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Touch my hands with your finger. Put your hand into my side. Don’t be unbelieving, but believing.”

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet have believed.”

Reflection
 
Thomas was a skeptic, unwilling to believe Jesus had been raised from the dead without clear and definite proof. Jesus gave him the proof he sought. Do you have trouble believing in the resurrection? What kind of evidence would it take to convince you? 

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for reacting to my skepticism with reassurances and not with condemnation.

1 comment:

  1. I learned somewhere along the line that proof comes in time. Considering the fact that this story has been continued for over 2,000 years, it is proof enough for me. Spiritually, I have seen Christ's Spirit in the bodies of many people, most oft poor, sick or otherwise disenfranchised. I may not have been in the upper room but I have been present to Christ's Spirit on the streets, in stores, in simple gatherings with those considered outcasts in our culture. I have no doubt that Jesus rose again or that He is among us just as He has promised He will be in Spirit.

    ReplyDelete