Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Lent: Day 30



While he was still speaking, Judas came, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priest and elders of the people. He had given them a sign: “Whoever I kiss is the one. Seize him.” Then he went to Jesus, and said, “Hello, Rabbi!” and kissed him.

Jesus said to him, “Friend, why are you here?” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus, and took him. One of those with Jesus drew his sword, and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place, for all those who take the sword will die by the sword. Or do you think I couldn’t ask my Father, and he would send me more than twelve legions of angels? How then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that it must be so?”

Jesus said to the crowd, “Have you come out as if I were a robber, with swords and clubs to seize me? I sat daily in the temple teaching, and you didn’t arrest me. But all this has happened, that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.”

Then all the disciples left him, and fled. 

Reflection
 
Those who came to arrest Jesus needed someone to point him out. They had never met him, never heard him speak, never seen his miracles, and yet they were ready to arrest him and kill him. People today still find it easy to condemn those they’ve never met. What shapes your opinion of people? Are you influenced by media or by the opinions of friends? Is there anyone you can trust to give you an unbiased opinion? 

Prayer: Confront me, Lord, when I allow my view of someone I have never met to be shaped by what I have heard from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment