Tuesday, December 6, 2016

72. Bread of Life.



When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret, and moored to the shore. People recognized Jesus, and came from the whole region, bringing those who were sick to where they heard he was. Wherever he went, into villages or cities or the countryside, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged to touch just the fringe of his garment; many touched him and were made well.

The crowd on the other side of the sea saw there was no other boat there except the one in which his disciples had embarked, and that Jesus hadn’t entered with his disciples into the boat, but his disciples had gone away alone. When the multitude realized Jesus wasn’t there, nor his disciples, they got into their boats, and came to Capernaum, seeking Jesus. When they found him on the other side of the sea, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?”

Jesus answered them, “You seek me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves, and were filled. Don’t work for the food which perishes, but for the food which remains to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For God the Father has authorized him.”

They said to him, “What must we do to work the works of God?”

Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: believe in him whom he has sent.”

They said to him, “What will you do for a sign, that we may see, and believe you? What work do you do? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness. As it is written, ‘He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.’”

Jesus answered, “It wasn’t Moses who gave you the bread out of heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.”

They said to him, “Lord, always give us this bread.”

Jesus said, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will not be hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. You have seen me, and yet you don’t believe. All those whom the Father gives me will come to me. He who comes to me I will in no way reject. I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. This is the will of my Father: that of all he has given me I should lose nothing; that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and that I will raise up all of them at the last day.”

Reflection


People come to Jesus for different reasons. Some feel privileged to think they are being asked to do something for God; others have no interest in anything except what God can do for them. What first attracted you to Jesus? Fear of hell? Hope of heaven? The call of the kingdom? 

Prayer: Keep me honest, Lord, when I am tempted to follow you for the wrong reasons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment