Monday, December 26, 2016

86. Lost and Found



See that you don’t despise one of these little ones, because in heaven their angels always have the attention of my Father. The Son of Man came to save what was lost.

“What do you think? If a man has one hundred sheep, and one of them goes astray, doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine, go to the mountains, and seek the one who is lost?  

When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing. When he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’  He rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. 

Even so it is not the will of your Father in heaven that even one of these little ones should perish. There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.

Or what woman, if she had ten silver coins, if she lost one coin, wouldn’t light a lamp, sweep the house, and seek diligently until she found it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost.’ Even so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner repenting.”

Reflections


One of the most common scenes in stained glass windows shows Jesus, the Good Shepherd, carrying the lost sheep. It is a great reminder that God cares not only for the multitudes, but for each person, including “the least of these.” Are there people you tend to think of as being unimportant and easy to ignore? Are there people who think of you that way?

Prayer: Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see the infinite value you place on every life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment