Friday, December 9, 2016

75. Take Up Your Cross



 From that time, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders, chief  priests, and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up.

Peter took him aside, and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from you, Lord! This will never happen to you.”

But he turned, and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of the world.” 

He said to all, “You who desire to come after me, deny yourselves, take up your cross, and follow me. If you seek to save your life, you will lose it, but if you lose your life for my sake, you will save it. What does it profit you to gain the whole world, and lose your own self? Those who are ashamed of me and my words, of them will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels. There are some of those who stand here who will not taste death until they see God’s kingdom.”

Reflection



Peter and the disciples could well imagine a series of triumphs in Jesus’ future, but death on a cross was unimaginable. Many preachers today focus almost exclusively on prosperity. Do you think following Jesus should bring fame and fortune, or at least honor and respect? What would it look like for you to take up your cross and follow Jesus? 

Prayer: Forgive me, Lord, for scripting my future in accordance with what I want rather than what you want and what your kingdom calls me to.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment