Friday, January 13, 2017

100. Costly Discipleship



Large crowds were going with him. He turned and said to them, “If you come to me, and don’t disregard your own father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters, and, yes, your very own life, you can’t be my disciple. Unless you bear your own cross, and come after me, you can’t be my disciple. Which of you, desiring to build a tower, doesn’t first sit down and count the cost, to see if you have enough to complete it? Or perhaps, when you have laid a foundation, and are not able to finish, everyone who sees begins to mock you, saying, ‘This one began to build, and wasn’t able to finish.’ Or what king, as he goes to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an envoy, and asks for conditions of peace. So unless you renounce all you have, you can’t be my disciple.

Reflection

Like some of Jesus’ other sayings, these words are not so much hard to understand as hard to follow. We are more familiar with a kind of “easy believism” in many churches: if you accept the church’s beliefs, provide financial support, and attend worship you will be a good Christian. Is this the kind of commitment you’ve made? What would need to happen for you to make a deeper commitment to be a disciple? 


Prayer: Show me, Lord, what holds me back from becoming what you have created me to be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment