Wednesday, January 4, 2017

93. The Rich Fool



One of the crowd said, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

But Jesus said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” He said to the people, “Beware! Keep yourselves from greed, for life doesn’t consist in the abundance of possessions.”

He told them a parable: “The ground of a rich man produced abundantly. He thought to himself, ‘What will I do? I don’t have room to store my crops!’ Then he decided, ‘This is what I’ll do. I’ll pull down my barns, and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. I will tell my soul, “You have many goods laid up for years to come. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”’
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! Tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’ So it is with those who lay up treasure for themselves, and are not rich toward God.”

Reflections


The saying of Jesus, “Life does not consist in the abundance of possessions,” is as true now as it was in his day, and yet many Christians show no evidence of having gotten the message. Who do you know who has consciously chosen to live a simple life based on lasting values? What would need to change in your life for you to live more simply? 

Prayer: Set me on the right track, Lord, when I am tempted to pursue what promises much and delivers little.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment