Tuesday, October 4, 2016

29. The Urgency of Following Jesus



Early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus rose up and went out to a deserted place, and prayed. Simon and those who were with him followed after him. When they found him, they said, “Everyone is looking for you.”

Jesus said, “Let’s go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because I came for this reason.” 

As they went on the way, a man said to him, “I want to follow you wherever you go, Lord.”
Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

Jesus said to another, “Follow me!” But he said, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.” Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead, but you go and announce God’s Kingdom.”

Another said, “I want to follow you, Lord, but first allow me to say good-bye to those who are at my house.” Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for God’s Kingdom.”

Reflection


Few people who met Jesus were able to go back unchanged to the life they had always known. His message was both inviting and challenging; timid, half-hearted responses wouldn’t do. Does the urgency and priority of Jesus’ call speak to your own experience of faith? Do you have obstacles in your life which make it difficult to follow Jesus fully?
Prayer: Give me the courage I need, Lord, in responding to your call.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment